Hello World!!!

Welcome to my space on the web - just a platform to share my thoughts and ideas.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's ok, na?

One of my friends, Isha, keeps lamenting that my posts are mostly cricket and not much else. Ab kya karein bhai, actually this is bound to happen, coz I'm someone who straightaway lunges for the sports page in a newspaper, even if the paper is of the likes of The Economic Times.

On a serious note, actually I just go with the flow - if there's nothing appealing to me, I don't write(!), and if there's something I feel like writing about, I do - don't care much even if it consistently belongs to any specific domain or 'label'. Anyway, hope Isha and her ilk would welcome this non-cricket post, for a change!

Just finished with "The Alchemist" - I know it's a bestseller but with due respects to all its fans and ofcourse the very respectable Mr. Paulo Coelho, I did not find it as impressive as I was expecting it to be.
 
Perhaps it's a case of excessive expectations, or I might have missed appreciating something even when it might've been there, coz the bestseller that it has been, there must be something seriously great about it that I have failed to notice.

Anyway, that's my loss. But thinking of why you like any book, here are my reasons for doing so:

1. The message

2. The way that message is conveyed - with the plot, the lines, the humor (if required) and the narrative (if required)

And then follow the other qualities that these two elements ought to create in any good read:

1. Gripping - once you start the book, you need to stop reading it only if Aishwarya Rai has come running all the way just to sit with you, or..if you have actually finished reading it!

2. Readability - A good book can make you feel like reading it is more like talking to a known, pally friend - just a conversation - no need to bother about anything, just go with the flow, and enjoy without thinking too much, unless it's a Poirot/Holmes kinda suspense-thriller!

3. Enjoyment - This one's the clincher - you should just love reading the book and enjoy the time spent reading it - probably the toughest to make a reader do. Actually, if you can do this part, chances are you have done all others too. In other words, ensuring reader enjoyment makes up for all the Do's and Don'ts.

Basically, the message I got was about following your heart and sticking to your goals, being unwavering in following your destination, enjoying the journey to your destination, learning from anyone and everyone, what else? - but none of this was really new (and it doesn't matter even if it wasn't. Every new book does not mean every new line of thinking) but I somehow didn't find it gripping enough.

The plot seemed to drag/stretch as long as the Egyptian deserts mentioned therein and I knew it was not doing it for me when I was laboriously looking for each page to end, with a keen, continuous and tired eye on how many more still to go, before I reach the last page.
It was like watching a Sreesanth or the entire Australian team play match after match not only without quality, but also without sledging their opponents - could well be historical, but seems boring. (oops, there we go with the cricket again!)
Somehow, I just did not feel captivated enough through the book. Guess it's no sacrilege, just a matter of choice.
It's ok, na?!