Hello World!!!

Welcome to my space on the web - just a platform to share my thoughts and ideas.

Monday, July 28, 2008

आज.....खुश तो बहुत होगे तुम......हाएं?!! :-)

Yes, I know, it's been a while since I blogged, so this was long overdue. I was too pre-occupied with work - first at office then some household chores, and then more work and more household chores. Not that anyone and everyone inundated me with calls/mails from anywhere and everywhere! But just wanted to clear any misgivings.

Well, it wasn't as if I never got any time off, but it's just that in the time I did get for myself, I didn't feel like writing on anything that wasn't appealing enough.

During the last week, I was so overdosed with the No-Confidence motion debates and analysis, that I had had too much of it by the time I went to the web, and the First Test Match performance of the Indian cricketers in Sri Lanka was too abysmal to write about (no point killing dead meat, right?!).


So I decided to write on something different and light.
Well, I just found how to write on the Net in our lovely mother-tongue..Hindi!!
So now I'm fixated with writing this post in Hindi!
Next up, I think I should find what to write in Hindi - I want to write something that cannot do without Hindi usage, where English translations of the Hindi original would either be meaningless or spineless, if not comical.
How about revisiting the most immortal and impactful movie dialogues in Hindi cinema?!
Now then, that requires Hindi for sure - and just for good measure, may I also put in English translations of the original, Devnagri script - not to be taken seriously - just for fun.


So let me find which are the Top 10 immortal dialogues, in Hindi cinema - no, only those of the doyen of Indian cinema - the Big B, to start with. Guess Hindi cinema is such a huge ocean, spanning a great timeline too, that it would be very unfair of me to list just 10 top ten quotes. As a matter of fact, I think it's a a great injustice to Big B too, that I am putting down only 10 of his best and more memorable dialogues, because there definitely are innumerable more from just him alone.
And, the following list is a compilation of just those dialogues, that strike me on first thoughts.... ofcourse there are many, many more - and it doesn't require me to certify this!

[Disclaimer: This is, by no means, an exhaustive list. Certainly, there are many more one-liners that have captivated the audience imagination and withstood the test of time. The following is just an appetizer!]
These dialogues are not in any particular order as such, but just the ones I can remember off-the-cuff.

Ok, so here goes - my two cents..

Enjoy..

My Top 10 (in no particular order):

1. Yes, I will sign, but first get me the sign of that guy, who called my father a thief; first get me the sign of that guy, who abused my mother and fired her from her job; first get me the sign of that guy, who wrote this on my hand. After that, after that, my brother, I will sign on whichever paper you bring to me.

हाँ, मैं sign करूंगा , लेकिन पहले उस आदमी का sign ले के आओ, जिसने मेरे बाप को चोर कहा था; पहले उस आदमी का sign ले के आओ, जिसने मेरी माँ को गाली देके नौकरी से निकाल दिया था; पहले उस आदमी का sign ले के आओ, जिसने मेरे हाथ पे ये लिख दिया था उसके बाद, उसके बाद मेरे भाई, तुम जिस कागज़ पे कहोगे, उस पर sign कर दूंगा

2. What is your name, Basanti?

तुम्हारा नाम क्या है, बसंती?!

3. I am your father, by relation...(!!)

रिश्ते में तो हम तुम्हारे बाप लगते हैं..

4. The line begins from the place where I stand.

हम जहाँ पर खड़े होते हैं, Line वहां से शुरू हो जाती है

5. Twelve countries' police is waiting for Don...but it is not only tough to catch Don, it is impossible!

Don का इंतज़ार तो बारह मुल्कों की पुलिस कर रही है... पर Don को पकड़ना मुश्किल ही नहीं, नामुमकिन है

6. Sir, I know English so well that I can leave the English behind.

सर, अंग्रेजी तो ऐसी आवे है, कि आई कैन लीव अंग्रेज बिहाइन्द

7. Peter.....you guys are looking for me outside, and I am waiting for you out here.

पीटर.....तुम लोग मुझे बाहर ढूंढ रहे हो, और मैं यहाँ तुम्हारा इंतज़ार कर रहा हूँ

8. Oh no Aunty, when did I say this? You are misunderstanding my Viru, Aunty!

अरे नहीं मौसी, मैंने ऐसा कब कहा? आप तो मेरे वीरू को ग़लत समझ रही हैं, मौसी!

9. I do only what, I believe, is correct.

मुझे जो सही लगता है, मैं वही करता हूँ

And last, but not the least (my favourite!) :-

10. Today - You must be very happy, huh?! The guy who never climbed up the stairs to Your temple, the guy who never bowed his head in front of You, the guy who never folded his hands in front of You - he! he is standing in front of you, with open hands..(!!)

Today - You must be very happy...
That lady, that lady whose forehead abrased (English for ghis!) the chaukhat (I don't know how to translate this!) of Your temple, that lady, on whom, when hardships increased, her devotion towards You increased, who herself kept burning from inside, but always lit the lamp in Your temple, that lady! that lady - is stranded between life and death today.

Yes, You must be very happy today, that I lost....but it is Your loss!
What cruelty, what sin had she committed?
Is this her fault, that she has given birth to me??
Is this her fault, that she is my mother, and I love her??
For what crime is she being punished?

आज - खुश तो बहुत होगे तुम! जो आज तक तुम्हारे मन्दिर की सीढियां नहीं चढ़ा, जिसने आज तक तुम्हारे आगे सर नहीं झुकाया, जिसने आज तक तुम्हारे सामने हाथ नहीं जोड़े - वो! वो आज तुम्हारे सामने हाथ फैलाए खड़ा है
आज - खुश तो बहुत होगे तुम ...

वो औरत - वो औरत, जिसके माथे से तुम्हारी चौखट का पत्थर घिस गया, वो औरत, जिसपर ज़ुल्म बढे, तो उसकी पूजा बढ़ी, जो जिंदगी भर ख़ुद तो जलती रही, मगर तुम्हारे मन्दिर में दीप जलाती रही, वो औरत! वो औरत – आज जिंदगी और मौत के बीच खड़ी है।

हाँ, आज खुश तो बहुत होगे तुम, कि मैं हार गया.. पर ये, तुम्हारी हार है !
कौन सा ज़ुल्म, कौन सा पाप किया था उसने?
क्या उसका कसूर ये है, कि उसने मुझे जनम दिया??
क्या उसका कसूर ये है, कि वो मेरी माँ है, और मैं उससे प्यार करता हूँ ??
ये किस गुनाह की सज़ा दी जा रही है उसे?

More such, later.
Adios!